Friday, December 3, 2010

"You're doing a what?"

"People are always surprised I would want to do a triathlon. I mean, really, I would never be accused of being a jock or even look “sporty”. I don’t think people know exactly what I am doing and, more importantly, why – so here is "what"....

I joined Team In Training. TNT is a hands-on endurance training program for the Average Joe at any fitness level. Coaches, in your area, work with participants for months to get them ready for ½ and full marathons, Olympic triathlons, century bike rides, and hiking events. Events include the Disney ½ and full marathons, Nike Women’s Marathon, Nations Triathlon, St. Anthony’s Triathlon, the Rock and Roll Marathon series and the Boston Marathon. Training for these events is usually 4-5 months long. Coaches work with participants on all aspects of the event they will be finishing from training basics, nutrition, clothing, gear and recovery. 

I am training for St. Anthony’s Triathlon. This Olympic triathlon is scheduled for the first weekend in May in St. Petersburg, FL. An Olympic length triathlon begins with a 0.9 mile swim, followed by a 24 mile bike and finishes with a 6.2 mile run. Sounds like a blast, right?! As many of you know, this is my second Tri with TNT. A few years ago I trained for the Nations Triathlon in DC. I am so excited to have my mile swim in Tampa Bay and not the cold Potomac!  We have very strong coaches and mentors this year and I can't wait for St. Pete!

I train most days of the week. We have a team swim on Mondays at a local pool with our coaches. Swims, runs and rides are on our own for the rest of the week. On the weekends we have rides and bricks, again with our coaches. The distances and speeds pick up as the weeks go by.

And for all this great training and a fun event, members of the Team raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. LLS’s mission is to cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin’s and myeloma. Funds got towards research and programs to improve the quality of life for patients and their families. Over 75% of each dollar raised by LLS and Team In Training goes directly to research and patients.

So there, in a nutshell, is the "what", they why is coming up....

Help me get to my goal via my TNT website.

No comments:

Post a Comment